Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Starting Gates

Today was Day#1 of my internship. For the first 3 days, we are doing orientation at the E. I. office in Anaheim, California. Then on Monday, we fly out to Kenya.

In all honesty, the reality of this trip has yet to hit me. Even though I am back in California, I see the charge for airplane tickets on my credit card, and I am meeting with my team, it still does not seem like I am going to Africa. It's kinda a weird feeling; like I am physically in the starting gates, but not mentally in the race. I am in awe of the close view of the action, but not fully realizing what I am being asked to do once the gates open.

Through the provision of finances, verbal affirmations, and constant peace, God has made it abundantly clear that I am to go on this trip. I am still short on my fundraising, but I am confident that God will provide the rest. It's odd; I am more worried about my luggage getting lost than I am about being able to raise the rest of my support. My prayer life would do well to stretch farther ;)

In many ways, I feel so ill prepared for this trip. I remember when I took shop class in Jr. High I would spend weeks planning my projects, sketching my designs, and measuring my wood before I would consider cutting. I would do everything possible to put off using the machines because I was scared of messing up. In this situation, where I don't really know what is being asked of me, I am scared of messing up and my response is to want to prepare until the cows come home. But in other ways, there is not much else we can do state-side. We are starting a business in Kenya. That involves being in Kenya to learn about the people, the area, and the needs of Kenya.

In general, other than feeling absolutely exhausted because I have met so many new people and been constantly running around, I am ready to go. But for now, we need to prepare as a team to work together and trust one another. This is the focus of our orientation. Today we talked about our Myers-Briggs personality types and so what we need to feel valued or what may hurt our feelings. This is good to know in how to approach each team member.

These next few days are just walking the track and getting to know the team. I just hope we can be as impressive and champion circle worthy as Seabiscuit... (sorry for the horse racing analogy...it just seemed appropriate at the time...)

No comments:

Post a Comment