Monday, June 22, 2009

The Lazy Days of Summer...

...never really happened.

Official summer vacation is only about a week and a half :(

Last Monday, I finished my online literature class from Bellevue College and I am pleased to report that I passed with a B-! Being unit #21, this class was a struggle for me. But it is over and I am done with my general education requirement for Biola.

Next on my list of things to do this summer is AFRICA! I go back to California on Tuesday to have orientation for my trip, then we leave on Monday, June 29th. After 2 days of flying (...yay...) we will arrive in Nairobi, Kenya.

So for that intermittent week between finishing Bellevue College and leaving for Africa, I have done who knows what...I am always amazed at how time passes. Since I am trying to rest, it seems as though there is not enough time to do so...rats. Things kept cropping up: errands to run, phone calls to make, installations to complete, episodes of JONAS to watch...these things are not are not big or tiring, but time consuming. I meant to read more this summer. I meant to spend more time with friends. I know that "summer" is not fully over (I will have a few weeks in August to chill before school), but it feels like it is coming to a close.

This leads me to think about life after school when work is a year round thing. No 3 month vacations, or even three day weeks (next fall I only have class Monday-Wednesday). Nope, only the two weeks of vacation to cram in all the necessary rest and "doing nothing" that anyone could want. Maybe I should become a teacher, just to preserve the concept of summer vacation...

Being an achiever, I feel like I need to accomplish something tangible. But the purpose of my summers is rest, which is not exactly tangible. So there are times when I feel that summers are entirely wasted because they were lazy. Yet, if I don't have restful, lazy days, I feel like summer is wasted as well...welcome to the paradox of my life :)

I guess what I am trying to say is, I wish I had more time to do nothing and yet I am glad for the chance to do something new...

No comments:

Post a Comment