Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Quick Africa Update

Well, Africa is about a month and a half away. I have met most of the team. I have sent out postcards and letters (if you did not get one, let me know and I'll sent one your way!). I have started fundraising. I have looked at flights.

As school is finishing up, I am beginning to shift my focus to prepare for this trip.

Now the questions start to surface:
  • What do I take?
  • Do I need shots?
  • Do I need to look into currency exchange?
  • What is the best flight deal?
  • What if I have to travel by myself?
  • How many books can I take to read?
  • Will my cell phone work in Africa?
  • Will I have internet access?
  • What if my fundraising doesn't come in?
  • And on the list goes...
Honestly, everything about Africa scares me. I have never been out of the country (minus Mexico), let alone, having to coordinate the travel plans by myself. It is an unknown area. The trip has an unknown schedule. I don't really know the other people going. It would be easy to pull the plug; to just stay home for the summer. To claim the "lack of finances" card and give up my place. But even in my ceaseless worry, God is prodding my heart to trust him. For every doubt that I have come up against, I have seen twice as many confirmations.

Last week, I received a letter for someone refusing to financially support me because they questioned the validity of using business to bring spiritual restoration to Africa. In tears, I cried out to God, "You have called me to this internship, but I don't see how I am going to get there!" Within 24 hours of this cry of dejection, two people offered to pray for me, my fundraising, and this trip and someone else expressed a desire to financially support me, despite their own personal economic situation. I have nothing but endless gratitude for these people.

I have confidence that God will provide in his time so, I continue to press on in prayer and thanksgiving for the opportunity that God is giving me this summer to see His plan for the integration of business and missions.

So that is where I am at: Short on financing, but Full of confidence :)

A few prayer requests:
  • I currently have $800 raised, but need $2,000 by the end of May to buy my plane ticket and $5,000 total by the end of June to fund the rest of the trip
  • I really am anxious about traveling and all the aspects that come with that
  • I am exhausted from school and need rest
Please keep me and this trip (the team, the leaders, the people of Africa) in your prayers!

Much Love,

Amanda

1 comment:

  1. I will be praying for everything Manda! AND waiting for my letter in the mail....................

    ReplyDelete