Sunday, May 24, 2009

Dear California,

I think we need to take a break. Our relationship has always been a little rocky...on for four months, off for one, then on again for four months, then off again for three. I always come back to you. You have been more than generous in waiting for me. But doing this for the past three years is beginning to wear on me. I feel that we have known each other long enough to make a stronger commitment. However, I am not ready for that. I feel like I have let this go on too long and there are feeling developing on both sides. I do not want to lead you on any longer. I must be honest with you.

I hate to break your heart, but there is someone else. I have always loved Washington. I don't know if you could ever fill the hole that the mountains and rain would carve out, should I leave them. You have admirable qualities as well, but it is far too difficult to get over your first love. I'm not sure I want to do that.

The two of you have places in my heart. Please do not doubt that I care deeply about you, California. However, I need some space to think through this dual love. I am going to visit a friend this summer, Africa, to hopefully gain some perspective.

Please do not cry dear California. You are far too beautiful to let tears stain your face.

Regretfully torn in two,

Amanda

1 comment: