Thursday, July 23, 2009

Siempre Gumby/TIA

Whenever my dad led a mission trip, his key phrase was "Siempre Gumby". This was taken from the U.S. Marines' moto of "Siempre Fi", meaning "always faithful". Gumby refers to the old claymation cartoon character that could remold himself to fit into anything. So my dad's phrase basically meant "always flexible".

Being in Africa, I hear "TIA" at least twice a day. "TIA" stands for "This is Africa". Essentially it means that nothing goes to plan and you have to roll with it. Power goes out in the bakery: TIA. Your contact is late for your meeting: TIA. A record sheet gets lost: TIA.

These two phrases have been the story of this trip, even more so in the last few days. In Kenya, our goal was so vague and ambiguous that delays or detours did not have such a significant impact on our plans. However, in South Africa, our goals are tangible and time-sensitive, so these little mole-hills become mountains...

On Monday, we had big plans to implement a marketing strategy for the bakery. However, when we arrived in the morning, they had run out of bread in the middle of the deliveries and the power was out so they were unable to bake anymore bread. TIA. So how do we not lose our customers waiting for bread when we don't have any to give them. To solve this small problem, we went and bought bread from a store and delivered that while explaining the situation with the power, but promising faithful deliveries. So hopefully the reputation of the bakery was salvaged.

Yesterday (Wednesday), I was supposed to work on the accounting records for the bakery. However, the bookkeeper was swamped trying to meet deadlines for a different project. Our meeting got pushed back a few days. Since the rest of the group had left already, I was stuck at our house, trying to find things to do to be productive. The Achiever in me is dying...

Honestly, this routine of unmet expectations is disappointing and frustrating. However it does lead me back to finding God's agenda for this trip. It's apparent that while I may get a taste of accounting here, it will be no where near the experience of a KPMG internship. Yet, the setting of Africa leads me to seek God more than the setting of a cubicle would.

So as my plans don't go according to schedule and I am left without anything to do, I am forced to contemplate what God is doing with me here in Africa...

Much like Africa, God has a way of redirecting my plans. So, TIG: This is God :)

P.S. Today, I finally got to audit...Yay

1 comment:

  1. hey amanda just wanted you to know i'm still following your blog and love hearing all the updates! thanks for letting everyone in on your adventures! i really like getting to experience it with you to some extent. awesome.

    ReplyDelete