Thursday, July 9, 2009

Separation Barrier

I have thought a little about what it would be like to live in Kenya for longer than two weeks. So far, there is a degree of comfort that I was not expecting. From all the cautions that I heard, I guess I thought I would feel super uncomfortable and always threatened. That is not the case. Kenyans are so friendly, regardless of whether they are trying to sell me something. The employees at the hotel we are staying at are learning our names and stop to talk with us at breakfast. They are teaching us some Swahili words and helping us get around the city. Several people that we just met have invited us to their homes for a meal. The gate keeper to the compound always smiles and waves at us. The people at church greeted us like any other visitor. Life in Kenya would be an adjustment, but it's entirely possible.

However, on this same train of thought I am reminded of the general perception of white people in Kenya - they are the ones with the money. Being a minority, you receive the brunt of the stereotype, whether you fit it or not. Even if I am a poor missionary in Kenya, I would still be expected to pay more than a local would. I think feeling like I am always being taken advantage of because of the color of my skin would be wearing. This reality helps put the issue of diversity on Biola's campus in perspective. No matter how similar your religion, worldview, personality, a minority may always feel like an outsider because they look different. "Fitting in" can only go so far. Others may welcome them, like the hotel staff and the church congregation welcomed us, but there is and will always be a substantial barrier to feeling a part of the group. This is a reality that the majority needs to acknowledge and not sweep aside as trivial.

The debate over diversity at Biola can be heated because one side may not want to engage in that conversation. This is tragic. In order for reconciliation to happen, listening followed by understanding needs to take place. I don't think racial reconciliation ends in us all ignoring color and culture. I think it's goal should be understanding and appreciation of culture.

A lot of pain in the world is from a lack of communication; in relationships, in racial tension, in the news, etc. People either don't listen because they are ruled by the heat of the moment or their pride. I remember watching The Breakup and just dying because neither character was willing to communication their honest feelings and thus both experienced pain. Of course a DTR (Defining The Relationship) would not make for a great movie, but the point still stands. We need to engage in conversations and extend understanding.

Despite all the commonalities in the world, differences in color can add just the right amount of discomfort to leave a person feeling alone and misunderstood.

From this short experience, I am intrigued by the idea of living somewhere other than the U.S. for an extended period of time. Would my opinion change? Would I become bitter because I would be discriminated against? Would I assimilate eventually? Would I miss my home culture?

Diversity is hard and it takes work, but I am taken back to church last Sunday when I was able to praise my Lord in the context of different culture. We all serve the same God - a God that does not favor a specific race. That is the starting point of valuing diversity.

Please don't judge to harshly, I'm in process as well as is my understanding of diversity as a white woman in a predominately white world.

No comments:

Post a Comment