Saturday, November 13, 2010

Abreviations and Acronyms

Lately it seems my daily voacaulary has been reduced to abreviations and acronyms.

In accounting there are so many different long and laborious terms that it is easier to use acronyms when you talk about them.

There is IRS, FTB, IFRS, GAAP, GAAS, PCAOB, SAS, or my new favorite, GAGAS (apparently Lady Gaga is a secret CPA...). It is now possible to have an entire conversation without actually saying any substantial words.

In addition to acronyms, I have resorted to excessive abreviations. I abrev all the time in general, but recently I have been studying for my CPA exam and making post-its notes of important information. So in the attempt to condense 500 pages of accounting notes onto a 3x3 post-it note, I have been abreviating. This has led to some accidental words...

For instance, last Monday, I was sitting at Panera, eating my sandwich and making post-it notes, when all of a sudden I realize I have been writing STDs all over my notes. Here I thought I had discovered a clever abreviation for the word standards...guess not.

It brought back the memory of the time I abreviated situational analysis in a text message to a friend...it was as bad as you think...

Needless to say, I need to work on developing my awareness skills and learning vocab like I'm about to take the SAT again.

No comments:

Post a Comment