Sunday, March 21, 2010

TWS: Third Wheel Syndrome


What has three wheels and is not a tricycle?

Me at my kitchen table...with my roommate sitting on her boyfriend's lap on the couch across from the table.

Tonight I was just minding my own business doing homework at our kitchen table when my roommate (let's call her Bianca) and her boyfriend (we will call him Aaron) come waltzing into the living room and plop down in the couch across from our kitchen table.

I would like to take this time to point out that we have two living rooms. One with the kitchen table and a couch. The other with FOUR other couches.

Normally, being the good roommate that I am and recognizing that the little couple has not seen each other for a week, I would move.

But not tonight!

I was here first!

I have turned the kitchen table into a very organized and large desk. Similar to Dwight's Mega Desk. I will not be forced to relocate. My desk just won't fit in any other room.

Aside the competitive nature ingrained in me to out-awkward the cuddly couple is my twisted sense of "responsibility".

See, Bianca and Aaron have a habit of staying in each others arms for long hours, late into the night/morning. Our house does not fill out NCAA tournament brackets. No, we take bets on when Aaron left last night/morning. Once I lost with 3:45 am...the actual departure was 4:30am.

This is not the first time that I have experienced TWS (Third Wheel Syndrome). During Christmas time, our house drove around looking at Christmas lights. I must have angered someone because I got stuck in a car with only Bianca and Aaron. It was quite romantic with me pestering, "What? Could you speak up?" every few houses or so.

Thank you house. I really appreciate you all...

So tonight, since my peaceful homeworking (really Grey's Anatomy watching if I'm being honest) area was disturbed, I am determined to remain in the same room until Aaron leaves. I am fully prepared with a ruler, a bible, plenty of movie quotes, and sports statistics from this weekend's March Madness games.

(Bianca is sympathetic towards the Jay Hawks, so between my underhanded question about how she felt about the University of Northern Iowa and stalking her date with Aaron, I may have to sleep with one eye open for awhile.)

I will no longer let TWS ruin my homework rhythm. I will no longer let TWS make me walk around the house with my computer screen open to preserve my place in the episode of Grey's Anatomy, thus making the screen wabble.

Only you can stop TWS!

* This Public Service Announcement was made to you on behalf of the Single Ladies Association of The Cove*

3 comments:

  1. this is hilarious!!! i laughed out loud while Bianca is in the other room watching her ridiculous version of a grown-up soap opera... i think that you captured that whole situation perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda!!!
    I came back home after a drink with 4(!) couples and found your blog while searching for situations like this! I didn't know that the english term was "third wheel syndrome". (the greek expresion is "i hold the lantern" - you know, being the one who walks in front of the happy couple, trying to be useful by doing something like showing the way in the dark)
    It's really annoying, but i'm glad that i found i'm not the only one who suffers among couples that spent the whole night wispering and making funny faces.

    ReplyDelete