Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Kick

Have you ever wondered how a runner who has spent the last hour striding around a track find it in them to sprint the last 100 meters? Personally, I think the real question is why did you spend the last hour running in circles...but that is besides the point of this blog post.

The sprint on the last 100 meters is the kick. The final effort to make it to the finish line.

While I don't really resonate with runners, I do like the sports analogy.

This week I have a take home midterm due. It is ten short answer questions about how I would run a bicycle company called Wacky Wheels. It is due Thursday. Today is Wednesday. Have I started? That depends on your definition of "start"...

I honestly have more important things on my mind than how to lead Wacky Wheels through a merger with Big Wheels, the cross town rival company, like should I take a carry-on or check a bag when I fly home on Friday? Or, I wonder how much space two bags of coffee will take up? Or if all 3 disc sets of Jungle Jam will fit onto a 4gb USB drive? Or if given the proper amount of time, should I learn the Tango of the Foxtrot? Like I said, important things.

Yet knowing my looming deadline, I am not worried. Why am I not worried?

Because I have a kick.

I can't start something early because it is just not urgent enough. But I can bust out a project with the utmost quality the day before.

Because I have a kick.

So rest assured I will start my midterm with plenty of time to finish and read over it. But in the meantime...

Do I bring one or two jackets home and how many pairs of shoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment