Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Redeeming Facebook

On the average day, my facebook news feed is filled with selfish ego-centric status updates. However, this week, facebook has served as a catalyst for the gospel.

On Monday, Justin Key passed away suddenly. While Justin was 4 years older than me, I knew him because his dad, Brian, was a junior high leader for my youth group back in Washington. I remember the numerous Summer Safaris that I attended as a camper and as a staff member. When I was a camper, Justin would come to the junior high camps with his dad to drive boats and help with the kitchen crew. Later I would serve along side him at these camps when I entered high school and he was in college. I remember the countless junior high girls that could not contain their giggles due to Justin's irresistible charm. From these brief interactions at camp and in the youth group, I can't say I knew the Key family very well, but I have been impacted by their lives of faithfulness.

The news of Justin's death began as shocked status updates Monday morning and eventually became a group page later that day. Memories and pictures of Justin came pouring into the group's wall.

Stories of how he touched people's lives and led many to Christ.
Stories of his infectious laugh and uplifting spirit.
Stories of adventures and excitement.
Stories of a life lived well and of a faith that was unshaken.

Because of facebook, this news traveled from the east coast, where he attended school, to Mexico where his parents were, to Seattle, WA, where his parent's church is, to La Mirada, CA, where he attended Biola and was part of the Torrey Honors Institute as well as the business department, and beyond, within 24 hours. Because of the connectivity of facebook, his testimony has been shared with hundreds in such a short period of time.

In my opinion, this memorialization of the life of Justin Key has been more effective at spreading the gospel than any of the other "1,000,000 Christians Strong" groups on facebook. His life was a genuine testimony of God's love flowing out from him. Over and over, people have written that he walked the walk and talked the talk. Justin was a man of God and his life proved that. Even in her immense grief, Justin's mother got on facebook and pleaded with all who had joined the facebook group because they knew Justin, to consider the God that he served.

Facebook may seem ridiculous at times, but God is using it in this instance to achieve his purposes of making His name known and glorifying Christ in all things.

Isn't it time we recognize facebook as an effective tool to reach the nations?

To the Key family: Your loss is felt deeply and you are in my prayers. Excellent job raising Justin. He will be remembered well. May you feel the peace of God during this time of sorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that Amanda.. I love that we have this great opportunity to use a mass networking site to connect with people and then connect them with God.. it's going to take a generation that can put aside their sense of irony though and really embrace the capacities of facebook!!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete